Kentucky Public Service Commission

Contact information for the Public Service Commission

Consumer Services

Comments, questions or suggestions for the PSC? Contact Consumer Services at or by phone at 1-800-772-4636.

Complete an online Utility Complaint with Consumer Services: click here to file an online complaint.

To submit a comment or ask about a case

Follow these steps using the hyperlink below:

1. Please use the search filters to find your case.

2. Select the correct case number.

3. Enter contact details and submit your comment.

Click here to submit public comments

NOTE Case-related comments submitted online or by other means while a case is in progress become a part of the official case record. All documents within a case record are publicly available online. Case-related comments submitted after a case has closed do not become a part of the official case record.

For all media inquiries - email

How to submit an open records request

Details on requesting public records can be found: Open Records

Web Site

Comments, questions or suggestions about the PSC Web Site? Contact our Webmaster at

Alternative formats

The Public Service Commission provides, upon request, reasonable accommodations and services necessary to afford an individual with a disability an equal opportunity to participate in all services, programs and activities. To request materials in an alternative format, contact us at 502-564-3940 or persons with hearing-and speech-impairments can contact the agency by using the Kentucky Relay Service, a toll-free telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD). For voice to TDD, call 1/800-648-6057. For TDD to voice, call 1/800-648-6056. Or you can e-mail us at